Comprehend Languages (DC 30): a Review of Fire on the Velvet Horizon

So two of my favorite blogs worked together to create a master piece of a monster manual, containing 100 original twisted and weird monsters. Lulu had a quick turn around and I already got my copy. It is $40 but it is a work of tattered and well-worn gold. Not only that, but it tied in so well with the Art of Being a Monster that I am working on here.


I haven't read the whole thing through, but the handful of monsters I've read are fantastically fatalistic. If you are looking for completely original monsters, monsters that will creep your players out and leave them guessing, this is the book for you. I mean, just check out the cover.

They even made up their own letter for a sort of hissing sound. I can't wait to spring it on the players, after hyping it up with some gross tracks and haunting calls.

One of my early favorites, the Monster Maiden, a cruel-lived monster spawning woman, cursed with a lonely life. Monsters that aren't just evil, puppy-killers have always held more interest for me.


Comments